Thursday, June 9, 2011

"It Really Happened"

This was one of my first online postings which started me writing about my personal experiences about my weight gain and eventually leading me to sharing my experiences through my short stories.
Last month, I went out to my parent's anniversary party. I didn't realize until that night that I barely fit into the formal dress I had chosen to wear weeks ago. So, I bought one of those all in one girdles from Fredricks of Hollywood and I was able to zip up the dress - barely. I felt like I was encased in armor it was so tight. But, I did go and had a good time...too good of a time. I ate all the appetizers brought around and really dug into my dinner and the desserts - wow. I knew it was difficult to breath with this girdle, but I guess because of all the beer I was drinking I didn't really feel the gradual poking out going on underneath my dress.

When I had to stand up to make a speech to our guests, I suddenly felt very full...bloated from all the beer and food I had been ingesting. I could feel my rolls of fat rebellling putting a real strain on my zipper. Well, it's not what you're thinking...it didn't burst open. But, I did find it difficult to say what I had to because it felt like I was holding my breath or I'd burst the whole time. It seemed like forever until it was my brother's turn to say something and I could "sit" down.

I found I couldn't sit down and I still had cake and pastry that was put on my plate that I had to finish. I was going to bypass the dessert but my Auntie Kay said to me, "Deary, what's a little more to hurt." Then she did something really strange and patted my belly. She said that I had really fattened up since she last saw me and that she didn't think this little bit would matter. My plate was covered with pastry! I had been foolish and just took before without thinking. And, I was stuffed already. I didn't know how I was going to get them all in.

I started slowly while I chatted with my elderly aunt. Every time I slowed down, she would push another one in my face. With each bite I could feel the rolls of fat pushing up against the lining my dress. What was worst was that I was forced to sit by my aunt who didn't believe in eating when standing. So I really felt the squeeze. She kept talking, I kept eating, and my belly kept blowing up. I could almost feel my dress creaking...but I think I was only imagining it.

I had the last mouthful and relaxed. My zipper still held. That's when my Auntie Kay pushed over the cake and ice cream I had also picked up from the buffet earlier. I tried to push it away and say I needed to talk to my brother, but she wouldn't hear of it. "In this family, we clean our plates. If you weren't going to eat it then you shouldn't have taken it. What's the matter, are you getting a bellyache?"

I didn't want her to make a scene because I knew it would have been embarrassing, so I did what she said. It was murder finishing every crumb of cake and the eating the ice cream. I was so glad a lot of it melted. I was also glad that she didn't notice and make me drain the bowl into my already painfully bloated belly. I finally finished and excused myself.

Before I entered the ladies restroom, I turned and noticed an almost evil grin on her face. I was wondering if she were a closet encourager (which is possibility looking at the size of her sons) or she just wanted to teach me a lesson and make me pay for my gluttony. And, I was paying...the pressure was intense and I knew that if I tried taking off my girdle that I'd never be able to secure the dress again.

I got a real shock when I looked at myself in the full length mirror. I still to this day do not know how the zipper held, considering the sight. It was not the overly rounded hourglass I had started out with this evening. I looked like overstuffed sausage about to break its casings.

My cousin Mary came up behind me and poked my ballooning midsection. "Wow," she said. "You really have to slow down. You've gotten so fat. We were all talking about it." I asked her what she meant. Mary told me that my weight gain was one of the hot topics of conversation at their tables. They were actually making bets when they saw me stuffing myself..if I would bust out of my dress.

"Oh, and then we saw what Kay was doing and Gary was sure you'd explode," Mary laughed. "You had to see your face. I could see you were having a lot of difficulty, but I knew you would be able to do it."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. She kissed me on the cheek and rubbed my belly saying that it made her a little richer tonight. I asked her to make my appologies - that I was going home. I was that uncomfortable. I made it to the car, sat behind the wheel, and I felt my dress give way in a seam. I heard the tear which releved very little of the pressure.

I was so inflated that I had to literly cut my way out of my girdle. What I relief! I was finally free. I don't see myself ever doing that again...at least not in the presence of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment